About a working wife, mom and owner of four horses who lives in Alabama....and trying to take things "one day at a time".

7/10/2005

Music "un"-Appreciation 101

I learned Friday evening that age is truly just a number and can be a state of mind as well. This lesson was learned as I watched old and very young sway and scream to the sounds of Gretchen Wilson followed by Kenny Chesney. We were offered free tickets last week and I thought it could be fun. I'll preface the rest of this with the fact that I don't listen to much country music these days but remember Kenny Chesney's music from five or six years ago and I liked him then. However, my thoughts on Gretchen Wilson are much different. She is newer to the mainstream scene and I don't share quite the fondness for her that others do. While all her claims to being the real down to earth person she is and wanting to make her hometown proud (as noted in the song Pocahontas Proud, which refers to her hometown Pocahontas, Illinois) could be commended by some, you won't find it from me. I am not here to bash her or any other star and at the risk of sounding holier than thou, I have no desire for her lyrics to be in my house or car. In her song "Here for the Party" she sings about being "an eight ball shooting double fisted drinking son of a gun" and goes on to say.... "I wear My jeans a little tight Just to watch the little boys come undone Im here for the beer and the ball busting band Gonna get a little crazy just because I can" While she sings about "kickin the butt" of a homewrecker and about being a proud redneck woman she elaborates by saying "Well, I ain't never been the Barbie doll type No, I can't swig that sweet Champagne, I'd rather drink beer all night In a tavern or in a honky tonk or on a four-wheel drive tailgate" she provides an emotional pull to every Mom with a video intro to her song "Holdin You" with clips of her daughter Grace and audio clips of baby laughter. I know it takes all types to "make the world go round" but I can't honestly condone her lyrics anymore than I can the lyrics of some rappers. The messages may be different but if we're after impact of the message then it's all the same to me. I felt so out of place as I sat during most of her performance and listened to a sold out crowd sing and chant with her. When I watched her video clip of her daughter, I felt proud...I felt proud that my daughters know I am "real" without having to hear me sing of my roots, my drinking preferences and my ability to "take it outside" with someone. They know I am real when we pray about something, they know I am real when they hear Chad and me argue and see us "kiss and make up", they know I am real when I get mad at someone and cry and hurt about it but can forgive and forget, they know I am real when I get mad and scream and shout and apologize for my actions, they know I am real when they see me hurt and they come give me a hug and I know they want to make it all better for me. So, while I felt so out of place I am so thankful for the lesson I learned and to say that I am proud of who I am too! PS - the eBay dress came in and I LOVE IT....also booked photography team of Mark Lawley and Associates on Thursday night (http://www.marklawleyphotography.com).

Powered By Blogger

Labels