About a working wife, mom and owner of four horses who lives in Alabama....and trying to take things "one day at a time".

9/12/2006

Horses on the Loose - PART TWO !!!!!

So, in the past week our horses have now gotten out twice. The last time was the straw that broke the camels back. Went out to feed them as part of our normal morning routine and it was eerily quiet. Goldie was the only one to be seen and that was because she was in the round pen with her hurt hoof (thanks to yet another roofing nail!) We milled around doing our normal gathering of buckets and such and still no horses. I caught a quick glimpse of the gate and noticed the "perfectly fine chain" that has to be wrappped two or three times hanging down the gate. My horror of all horrors was unfolding before my eyes and with my 8 yr old standing there. I screamed "they're gone"! She was screaming - crying and neither one of us could think straight. I got my wits about me and went into action. Grabbed 4 lead ropes, 4 halters, two buckets of feed and headed to the house. Went in and told Chad "the horses were gone". He got up - we both knew he was the last one to open / close the gate and knew where the blame lay this time. But blame or no blame we had to find our babies. I went to our dead end and no sign of them. I was even looking for horse poop! But figured they wouldn't be walking on the road and that they would be in the grass, eating grass and all of it they could! Heaven's, if they had been out all night they would be about to explode by now. I went to the other end of the road and went to the right. I felt strongly my husband headed to the McInvale's to see if the horses were there...since two of ours that were out were very familiar with there place. So, I headed the opposite direction knowing there were several fields that they could be grazing. As I passed the first field, I was disappointed to not find them in there. Immediately after that field, there is a house and then a trailer. As I passed the house and came even with the trailer's driveway - I saw my black and white spotted horse. I pulled into the driveway and said "Hannah"! She raised her head at the sound of my voice and then I saw a man standing with her. He said "you missing some horses"....I said "yes sir - FOUR of them, you got FOUR"...he hollered back "Yep, got four!" I was never so relieved in all my life. Thank goodness for herdbound horses sometimes! As I approached the driveway, with two halters, ropes, and a bucket of feed, I was met by my babies. I got Blackie haltered quickly and tied him to a tree. Then tried Sonny - the big puppy dog! Got him in a halter and the man tied him to the back porch. So, I took the feed and lured Hannah and Sparkle back to the back yard to keep them out of the driveway. Tried to call my husband and he had not turned his cell phone on - found out later he thought he had but it never powered up. Chad came down the road shortly and saw my truck. He came back with lead ropes and halters in hand to get the other two tied up. Then he left to go get the horse trailer. He came back with the horse trailer and loaded all up but Blackie and then made another trip to get Blackie. Needless to say, I bought a NEW CHAIN and latch that day as part of my errands and hopefully this will not happen again. Our neighbor had poop in his yard and the neighbor down the road with a garden paid us a visit because they visited his garden. Luckily they didn't do too much damage or else I would have been paying for his lost profits from his collard greens.

Powered By Blogger

Labels